How to resend an email to double, triple and quadruple conversions.

Image for post
Image for post

Salespeople have a higher success rate than lions, tigers and bears. When a predator sets out on a hunt it takes them 10 attempts to achieve one successful kill.

Salespeople, on the other hand, land 50% of their sales within their first 5 attempts and the remaining 50% after their 5th attempt.

Despite this statistic, it’s safe to say salespeople would starve in the wild because the vast majority of them only make two attempts to reach a prospect before giving up and moving on to someone else.

I’d argue marketers aren’t all that different.

One bad habit marketers run into is giving up too quickly.

They’ll spend an hour or so creating a kick-ass email. Send it off to their list. Head to bed. Wake up in the morning to see what the open rates look like. Shrug. Then, hope they write something that gets more clicks the following week.

However, something marketers forget often when it comes to not only email marketing but marketing as a whole is the element of timing.

You can create the best piece of marketing in the world and you can tailor it to appeal to your target market, but if your target market never sees the piece of marketing it doesn’t fucking matter.

This is where timing comes in.

Currently, I run two weekly newsletters to promote my copywriting guide and the services that I offer at Honey Copy.

One is called Sticky Notes and the other is called Stranger Than Fiction.

Not only have these newsletters been a blast to write and wonderful in driving sales but they’ve been a splendid laboratory for my own marketing experiments.

Recently, I wrote an article about how I made $2,000 over the weekend simply asking for customer feedback.

While I won’t rewrite the damn article here, one tactic I shared was called the email resend and the email re-resend.

How to resend an email.

Email marketing (and just sending sales emails in general) is wonky for a handful of reasons:

  • Your email is competing against countless others.
  • Your email can easily end up in spam.
  • Your recipient can easily scroll past it.
  • Your subject line can miss its mark.
  • Your email can catch your prospect at a bad time.

Because of this, it’s wildly important for marketers, like lions and salespeople, to make multiple attempts at getting their emails in front of their subscriber’s eyes.

Fortunately, marketers are playing at a major advantage because email softwares allow them to segment their lists and resend the same email to the folks who didn’t open the original email.

This was precisely the strategy I used in making $2,000 this past weekend.

I crafted a really damn good email and sent it with the following subject line…

“Is this sales page genius or disastrous?”

A day later, I saw that 40% of folks opened it. So, I resent the same email to the other 60% of folks who overlooked it with a slightly different subject line…

“Clearly you miss this…”

The next day, I was surprised to see that 23% of these folks opened the email. I figured I’d give it one more go and resent the same email a third and final time to the folks who didn’t open my first or second email with the subject line…

“Are you ignoring me?”

After all this was said and done, sending two more of the same email with a slightly different subject line with each had gotten my emails opened by an additional 1,500 subscribers and drove another $1,000 in sales.

That’s not too shabby.

This is a very specific example of a much broader philosophy marketers need to keep in mind.

If you have a good piece of marketing, squeeze it until you get all the juice out.

Creating good marketing that sell takes time, money and energy. So, don’t fix what’s not broken. Instead, put a twist on it like a slightly different subject line.

Then, hit send (again).

And, perhaps, once more after that.

But, I digress.

By Cole Schafer.

You gotta check this out — Sticky Notes is my email list reserved strictly for entrepreneurs and creatives looking to sell like a Florida Snow Cone Vendor on the hottest day of the year.

Written by

I write pretty words and sometimes sell things. https://coleschafer.com/subscribe

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store